Assistant Editor - Southborough, Tunbridge Wells
5 days per week, Mon-Fri 9-5pm
We are looking for a versatile and enthusiastic assistant editor with exemplary command of the English language to join our editorial team.
Whitmar Publications produce content and publish magazines supporting the multibillion GBP/USD print and packaging industries. These are fast-paced, high-tech industries that are driven by R&D, new product introductions and ROI, although at their heart are the people that make print and packaging tick.
A technology background is not an absolute requirement – although a definite advantage – rather the right candidate will have the innate ability to empathise with the needs and wants of businesses and their people, comprehending and translating technological developments into practical, real-world lessons that will drive print and packaging as it continues on a global growth trajectory.
This role will suit someone looking to take the next step in their professional journey or a candidate looking to start their career in journalism. There are exciting opportunities to develop and learn new skills. You must be able to work well in a team and prioritise your workload efficiently.
On an average day, the successful candidate will be able to chase down news leads and turn press releases into engaging editorial content, upload this online in double time, then share it widely and efficiently driving likes, shares and eyeballs. Various proofreading tasks and other ad hoc projects will be part of your daily life too, both within the editorial team and the wider company.
The role may at times require the candidate to travel, nationally and internationally, to report on industry events.
- Excellent spelling and grammar
- Pinpoint proofreading
- Excellent communication skills
- Social media acumen
- Good time keeping
- Good organisation
- Enthusiasm and eagerness to learn
- Ability to write structured news stories
- NCTJ qualified
- Experience interviewing key industry members (face to face/phone/on video)
- Video production
- Experience using Word Press
- Photography skills
In return we offer
- Career development – we provide; training, mentoring and career progression
- The role is office based, we love to work as a team and believe this offers the best chance to learn, grow and quickly move up the ladder, however we are open to some remote working where needed
- Staff social fun
- Free parking
- An encouraging company culture that inspires professional development
- If your birthday falls on a working day you get that off to celebrate
- Annual pay reviews
- Life assurance – 4 x salary after 2 years’ service