Exciting, newly created cross category packaging innovation role based in the London innovation team of a global leading luxury drinks
Responsible for the technical management of NPD innovation and breakthrough innovation and to assist in the identification, development and implementation of leading-edge packaging and process solutions across innovation projects. A key member of the innovation team, you will be the technical packaging expert leading & supporting the marketing & brand teams on all packaging innovation. You will be driving innovation & therefore have a great mix of technical & strategic skills, the ability to perform while dealing with ambiguity & have an entrepreneurial mindset & inspire senior management & teams.
- Lead, co-ordinate and manage the technical aspects of NPD innovation projects from concept to artwork delivery/Project Commitment.
- Support identification of best-in-class packaging solutions, new suppliers or new technologies within existing supply base to support innovation platform.
- Co-ordinate and manage breakthrough packaging innovation in line with breakthrough innovation strategy.
- Identify, develop and propose new technologies in digitally connected packaging solutions for both product security and consumer engagement platforms.
- Proactively delivering packaging solutions to support breakthrough innovation strategies to enhance brand presence and positioning through a thorough understanding of the business and consumer needs.
- Manage packaging breakthrough innovation projects from concept to hand-over.
- Engaging with business stakeholders including Marketing and Manufacturing to develop packaging concepts with key supplier development partnerships.
- Providing packaging development expertise to Manufacturing, Marketing and other stakeholders.
- Driving new packaging formats, substrates and functionality to improve performance, sustainability, efficiency, quality and cost, to deliver competitive advantage for the business.
- Contributing to the development of changes in the packaging process, ensuring suitability of design, selection of materials and cost effectiveness.
- Building and maintaining development partnerships with suppliers to ensure design specifications are met.
- Driving value creation through the identification of cost saving opportunities in new projects, and minimising obsolescence and capex.
- Influencing key stakeholders on our environmental sustainability agenda through the innovation project design phase.
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with key Suppliers, to leverage their knowledge and capability, and keep abreast of developments in the packaging industry.
- Liaising with Sourcing and Quality in the selection and approval of suppliers.
- Liaising with wider Packaging Development key stakeholders to ensure smooth transition through the industrialisation and commercialisation project phase.
- Supporting the Head of Packaging Development in the development and execution of medium and long-term Innovation strategies.
- Investigating and updating knowledge on packaging developments to aid identification and use of optimum materials, technologies and trends. Both in dry goods materials and digital solutions for connectivity in product/brand security and consumer engagement.
- Investigating and guiding developments in future packaging technologies and trends.
Key Skills & Experience Required:
- Minimum Degree level qualifications in product design, product design engineering, innovation engineering or similar discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in packaging development/innovation, design management in luxury drinks, beauty/fragrance packaging. In particular excellent knowledge /expertise of print technologies (labelling, decoration), glass, bottling.
- Experience in project management functionality
- Experience in managing packaging materials and/or suppliers
- Computer literacy (self-sufficient in MS Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to calculate and manage project risk
Salary & benefits package: £45k - £60k basic (DoE) + family private healthcare + generous product allowance + share options + excellent private pension