PRODUCTION MANAGER VACANCY
We wish to appoint an experienced Production Manager at our Burntwood (Staffordshire) manufacturing site to accelerate our journey towards our vision of becoming a world class manufacturer of labels.
Mercian Labels is at the top of its game, an independently owned multi-award winning full-service label manufacturing business with strong brand recognition for excellence. Our vision is to become a world class manufacturer of labels and we are passionate about delivering ‘Speed & Service’ to our customers.
Growing nationwide in a variety of segments including food (BRC AA), beverage, chemicals, variable data, tamper evidence, smart indicators, expanded content labelling, flexible packaging and more, we operate from a flagship factory in Staffordshire with a team of 50. We are the UK market leader in high volume variable data barcode labels with an enviable reputation for data integrity in demanding medical and retail markets.
In recent years we have invested millions in the latest digital and 8+ colour UV flexo technology, colour management, prepress workflows, ERP systems, IT, manufacturing facilities, but most of all our people! We are a people based business with high standards, passionate about increasing our ‘value added’ to customers through automation and continuous improvement in manufacturing productivity.
High quality products are a given, and we are proud of our relentless focus on high OTIF performance day in, day out to keep our customers happy. We recognise we can only achieve our vision with the right people in our team. Our employee engagement survey across over 50 topics showed that 93% would reapply for their current job, 100% agree that their manager treats them with respect, and 96% feel comfortable sharing their opinions at work.
As Production Manager, you will have a key leadership role in the successful management of the business. You will be responsible for overseeing and ensuring the continued success of our production (manufacturing on machines) function of the business.
The role will require you to line manage a workforce (23) ensuring their productivity, flexibility and cooperation. You will lead and motivate team members to promote lean principles at all times on our journey towards world class operational excellence.
Key responsibilities solely accountable to the role:
- Being a highly visible line manager on the production floor who is seen to lead by example , managing and developing the entire production team. This will involve recruiting, managing, disciplining, training, motivating and developing the production team as well as taking full and efficient advantage of all annualised hours resources available, ensuring that a culture of world class excellence is set and upheld and the operating objectives and standards of performance are understood and owned by all team members.
- To deputise for the Operational Excellence Manager when they are not on site.
Technical Expertise - Provide high calibre printing, coating and converting technical expertise into the business as the ultimate ‘fixer’.
Plant and Machinery - responsible for the maintenance and condition of all machines and equipment.
Key responsibilities shared with the Operational Excellence Manager
- To lead the Company towards achieving world class manufacturing performance within a 5-year time scale, targeting the sustained achievement of a Value Added Ratio of 2.25, OTIF at 98%, Zero Defects at Despatch and no customer complaints.
- Deliver the intended production performance of the company by putting in place suitable highly visible and clearly understood operational and financial metrics aligned to the business plan
- Establishing, measuring and achieving SLAs and other key operational metrics
- To solve day to day operational problems
- Control operational budgets and inventory
- Review financial statements and data to improve profitability.
- To plan and deliver a continuous stream of productivity improvements using appropriate lean manufacturing techniques, constantly initiating changes across the production team to achieve excellence in all areas. Always seeking the most efficient and effective utilisation of the machines and the factory itself.
New Product Development
- Work with Senior Management on the Group’s NPD strategy including contributing to the project management of a pipeline of new products in accordance with the NPD plan
- Liaise with and obtain feedback from customers, suppliers and the wider marketplace to contribute to the generation of ideas for new products.
Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of Flexographic Printing.
- Recent Operational Management experience in a FMCG environment.
- Experience in delivering Lean/Modern Manufacturing techniques
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to convey a compelling vision
- Strong team player with the ability to develop and participate in all team environments in order to achieve goals, set strategy and achieve efficient problem resolution.
- Leadership: a demonstrable ability to lead people and get results through others by developing working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Flexible, able to react quickly and manage / balance competing multiple priorities and achieve positive results
- At least 5 years experience at Operations / Production Manager Level managing a production operation of 25+ staff
- Knowledge of Digital and Flexographic Label Printing /short-run/ Converting Packaging Production processes with adherence to quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of product.
- Ability to plan and manage a departmental budget.
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to assess risk and determine the path forward to minimize business impact.
- Knowledge business operating systems, employment legislation, other relevant laws, regulations and guidelines to ensure compliance with same
- Highly articulate, literate and numerate
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite/ IT skills in order to prepare reports, financial projections, charts and graphs.
Expressions of interest with a CV and covering letter to Lubica Brough, Executive Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org Tel 01543 431095.
Following an initial ‘paper sift’ we will invite you to visit us in Burntwood to meet our Directors and tour our manufacturing facility so we can explore the fit between your skills and aspirations and our requirements for this senior appointment.