Excellent, newly created role of Senior Packaging Technologist to join the R&D function to specialise in sustainability.
Reporting to the R&D Packaging Team Manager this role will deliver the feasibility, risk assessment, planning and implementation of sustainability projects from concept to launch including the delivery of our legal packaging obligations. You will bring the developments of new materials and technologies, along with competitor benchmarking and strategy analysis into the business to drive building brand strategy and public commitments towards the environment.
Your responsibilities will include;
- Providing functional expertise to projects in our stage gate process; working with our procurement, production, marketing and public affairs teams to provide sustainable solutions to our brands
- Develop technical solutions that deliver against opportunities identified through the business process. As the sustainability strategy evolves, packaging solutions and technologies will require new learning that should be shared in the R&D team
- Sitting on business forums that drive the integrated agenda for sustainable packaging, sustainable infrastructure and communications
- Owning the packaging specifications for raw materials and finished products and ensure that we are supporting risk management by approving alternate sources of supply for key sustainable materials
- Identify and develop, in conjunction with Purchasing and Commercial, opportunities for cost reduction whilst maintaining quality of product experience.
The successful candidate will have;
- Been educated to degree level in Packaging, Material Science or Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of post-graduate experience in a packaging team within an FMCG business.Experience of leading and working in cross functional project teams is essential
- A passion for sustainability and experience working on sustainable packaging solutions
- A sound knowledge of fmcg manufacturing as well as an appreciation of packaging material manufacture, filling technologies, labelling, packing and palletisation
- Knowledge and operation of ISO, BRC, HACCP and other quality management systems is essential
- Ability to manage technical risks and develop Packaging specifications for the business
- Experienced in understanding consumer behaviour via consumer research and the ability to translate this into winning product solutions.